Thursday, April 17, 2014

Dear Jodie - P is for Pulp Fiction


Dear Jodie,

Quentin Tarantino, without question, was the very first rock star movie director.  He straddles the line between genius and insanity and spends time on either side of that line.

I laughed in spite of myself at his brilliant Pulp Fiction! In any other movie on the planet, two hit men on their way to blow some people out of the water would be discussing strategy. Their looks would be stern and fixed, their eyes blazing with the anticipation of killing.

Vincent (John Travolta) and Jules (Samuel L. Jackson) are driving to the hit, and what are they discussing?  What the French call a Quarter Pounder with Cheese!

People are blowing people away, sodomizing folks, overdosing to the brink of death, and here I am laughing my ass off!

Let me repeat that!  Laughing my ass off!

Why!!!

That's the genius/insanity of Quentin Tarantino both as screenwriter and director.

Who would create a character, Butch, whose most prized possession was a watch that had been stashed for years at the time up the keister of two different men, and play it to the hilt?

Butch risks his life and kills a man to get that watch!  Who would think of that?

Quentin Tarantino!

Who would create a scene where a man accidentally blows the head off a young man and I'm laughing so hard I can't catch my breath?

Quentin Tarantino!

Who would dare take vignettes and tell them completely out of chronological order and have it all make complete sense?

Quentin Tarantino!

He is the rock star of directors!  And Pulp Fiction ROCKS!  I just watched it again, and it holds up brilliantly after 20 years.

10 out of 10!!!

Just as an oh-by-the-way, Quentin Tarantino publicly named his favorite actor growing up, Adam Roarke, he of the 60's biker flicks.

Adam Roarke was my acting coach and friend.  I'm so sorry that he died before Quentin Tarantino could use him in a movie!  I would love to have seen that collaboration!

If I remember correctly, Jodie, you are a Quentin Tarantino fan, aren't you?  :-)


 

1 comment:

  1. Haha Rocky - great review! Royale with Cheese - I went into the McDonalds in St Germaine where Tarantino got the idea for that line, and I ordered...... you guessed it!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments. Please leave them.