Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Dear Jodie - C is for Casablanca


For everyone, Jodie and I are doing tandem movie reviews, as we do for our Facebook page Dear Rocky Dear Jodie: The Actor and the Psychologist At the Movies.  We hope you enjoy them, find them provocative.  Whether you agree with us, or disagree please comment!  We welcome all comments.  Thank you, Arlee Bird and everyone who does such a magnificent job with this challenge!!!
________________

Dear Jodie,

I came from the age of black and white.  My parents bought the first television set either had ever known a month before I was born.

Remind me to tell you one of these days how I actually remember them buying it!  I freaked the ever-loving sh*t out of them when I told them all about it . . . from my memory!

One of the first movies I remember seeing on this old black and white television set (it was quite used when my parents bought it) was Casablanca.

What an amazing introduction to the legendary Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman.  More than once, my father proclaimed Ingrid Bergman the most beautiful woman in the world. Considering that my father picked Miss America nine times out of ten from the 50 finalists, I never presumed to argue with him.

I still wouldn't.

Roger Ebert proclaimed "It is about a man and a woman who are in love, and who sacrifice love for a higher purpose."

Gotta love it!

I'm not going to presume to offer a review of Casablanca.  I'm going to quote from memory a couple of the lines the 1942 movie made famous.

"We'll always have Paris."

"Play it again, Sam." Actually this is a misquote.  The line to Sam (played by Dooley Wilson) was, "You played it for her, you can play it for me.  Play it."  The immortal song was, "As Time Goes By."

"Round up the usual suspects."

"Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine."

"Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship."

Honestly, Rick Blaine (Bogart) was not an attractive character at the beginning of the movie.  But love loosened him up.  And obligation to truth, and goodness.

Wow!  Sounds like a novel I'm trying to write, though my novel pales in comparison to this classic!

Oh, my gosh!  I forgot the biggie, "Here's looking at you, kid."

And, yes, my father was a lady's man.

Check out Jodie's take here! 

3 comments:

  1. If I really like a movie, I use the quotes with my husband, fav is "Round up the usual suspects." And of course, "We'll always have Paris."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for your comment, loverofwords!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments. Please leave them.